Grant Request Guidelines for 2020
The HCTC provides grants to help support the tourism efforts in Hancock County. Grants can be awarded that will promote and encourage conventions, visitors, and tourism within Hancock County. The HCTC board meets monthly and grant money is awarded based on availability of funds on a first come, first serve basis. Grant requests will be date stamped upon receipt if the documentation is correct and ready for HCTC review. If for any reason it is returned to the requestor for incompleteness it will be placed into the que based on the date it is received in a complete state and ready for board action.
The following requirements must be met in order to be considered for the award of a Grant from the HCTC. The Grant Application must be completed providing as much information as possible in order to provide the HCTC with a clear understanding of how the monies will be utilized.
- The grant must support a tourism project, event or activity.
- Grant monies are not to be used to provide salaries, or operating expenses.
- HCTC support for a project, event or activity should not be considered a permanent funding source.
- Projects, events or activities should strive to become self-supporting.
- No later than 60 days after the completion of a project, event or activity you must present a Grant Report on the expenditure of funds provided by the HCTC.
- Provide a budget for your event to support the funds requested.
- The HCTC requires you to utilize the tourism website to obtain the list of hotels, Air BnBs and local food and beverage businesses to enhance your event. This can be done by collaborating with these facilities to negotiate rooms and rates for vendors or attendees and promoting local restaurants.
- You can submit supporting documents including details and data from past events regarding visitors and their origin. These should be submitted along with the grant request.
- You will need to show how you are tracking out of county visitors. This can be done through surveying attendees, collecting zip codes from attendees, checking license plates, or collecting that information via registrations or guest registers. This information WILL BE REQUIRED for an end of project, event or activity report.
- If you choose to bring any samples of items (advertising pieces, etc.) to the HCTC meeting please bring one copy for the Executive Director; no additional copies necessary for the Commission members.
- Projects, events or activities are funded on a case by case basis at the discretion of the Commission.
The completed Grant Application Form and any additional documentation must be submitted to the HCTC following the below process. Beginning in 2020 the Grant Applications will be reviewed quarterly by the HCTC (March, June, September).
- In order to be placed on the agenda, your grant request and attachments, if applicable must be submitted to the HCTC based on the schedule below;
Submit to HCTC Deadline Presented to the HCTC for Review
February 15th March Meeting
May 15th June Meeting
August 15th September Meeting
October 15th November Meeting
- The requestor may be required to attend in person to present the application to the Grant Committee and/or the full HCTC.
Beginning in 2020, the HCTC requires all Grants be submitted via our new online form process coming soon. If you need to submit a Grant prior to February 5, 2020 please contact Brigette Jones at 317-477-8687.
The Executive Director will determine if the Grant Application is complete and ready for the next HCTC meeting review. The Grant Application will have the date received entered and will be given a Grant Number.
Grant Final Report
Within SIXTY (60) DAYS of the close of your project, event or activity you must provide a follow up report with receipts and documentation as to how the grant money was spent. You must submit a report with the receipts and documentation of all spending associated with the approved Grant. If the HCTC desires an in-person report at a monthly meeting that will be communicated. The hope is that the submitted report will be complete and the need for an in-person meeting will not be necessary for most awards. A HANDWRITTEN REPORT WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED. Changes to the reporting method will be available soon.
If the full amount of the grant money is not utilized, you must return all unspent money to the HCTC. This should be submitted via check and made out to Hancock County Tourism Commission and submitted along with your Final Grant Report.
Failure to complete a Final Grant Report and submit the necessary documentation could result in an organization being banned from receiving future tourism funds. Failure to supply the necessary receipts for these expenditures could require the return of funds that are not supported by appropriate documentation. These would be considered unspent funds.
If you should have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the HCTC Office at 317-477-8687. You can also email Brigette Cook Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org, for help in working with the grant process and answer any questions.
An approved, executed and finalized Grant Application that has been reviewed by the HCTC and approved for permanent filing (which includes any redaction, if applicable) should include the following documents:
- A complete Grant Application Form that includes the proper signatures
- A copy of the HCTC meeting minutes that approved the Grant
- The completed Final Grant Report including all receipts and applicable documents related to the project, event or activity
- A copy of the Grant Cover Letter, if applicable
- A check from the receiver of the Grant for any unused funds, if applicable
- The Grant Log is updated to reflect “Completed”
This Grant completion packet will be stored in hard copy and electronically in accordance with HCTC Storage process.